Below, we’ve put together a list of new features and changes to expect if you upgrade from an iPhone 11 Pro to an iPhone 14 Pro. The list includes features added to the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro over the last few years, as well as features rumored for the iPhone 14 Pro, which Apple is expected to announce in September as usual.
- A16 chip vs. A13 chip: The A15 chip in the iPhone 13 Pro is already up to 42% faster than the A13 chip in the 11 Pro, according to Geekbench 5, and performance should improve even more with the A16 chip in the iPhone 14 Pro.
- Larger display: iPhone 11 Pro is equipped with a 5.8-inch display, while the 14 Pro is expected to have a 6.1-inch display.
- Brighter display: Compared to the iPhone 11 Pro, the 14 Pro’s display should have up to 200 nits higher peak brightness.
- No more notch: Rumors suggest Apple will replace the notch with a pill-shaped cutout and a hole for the Face ID sensors and front camera on the iPhone 14 Pro.
- ProMotion: Introduced on the iPhone 13 Pro, ProMotion allows for a variable refresh rate up to 120Hz for smoother appearing content and scrolling.
- Always-on display: Rumors suggest the iPhone 14 Pro will feature an always-on display mode that shows the time, date, and iOS 16’s new Lock screen widgets.
- Ceramic Shield: Introduced on the iPhone 12 Pro, Apple said the Ceramic Shield front cover increased drop performance by 4x compared to the 11 Pro.
- Longer battery life: Already, the iPhone 13 Pro gets 22 hours of video playback vs. 18 hours for the 11 Pro, and rumors suggest that iPhone 14 Pro models could feature even larger battery capacities.
- Numerous camera improvements: iPhone 11 Pro users upgrading to the 14 Pro will get a slew of camera upgrades, including a rumored 48-megapixel Wide lens with support for 8K video recording, an upgraded front camera with autofocus, increased optical zoom, sensor-shift image stabilization, Macro mode, Cinematic mode, ProRAW, ProRes, Night mode portraits and time lapses, and more.
- Flat edges: While the iPhone 11 Pro’s stainless steel frame has round edges, Apple has switched to flat edges with the 12 Pro and newer.
- 5G: While the iPhone 11 Pro is limited to LTE, the iPhone 12 and newer support 5G for faster cellular data speeds, where available.
- WiFi 6E: iPhone 14 models are rumored to support Wi-Fi 6E, which extends Wi-Fi into the 6 GHz band, in addition to the existing 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.
- MagSafe: iPhone 12 and newer models feature MagSafe, a system that lets you magnetically attach accessories to the back of the iPhone, such as Apple’s own MagSafe Charger, MagSafe Wallet, and MagSafe Battery Pack.
- Increased storage: iPhone 11 Pro started with 64GB of storage, but the 14 Pro should have at least 128GB of base storage.
- LiDAR Scanner: Introduced on the iPhone 12 Pro, the LiDAR Scanner is situated next to the rear camera and offers faster augmented reality experiences and improves autofocus by 6x in low-light photos and videos, according to Apple.
- Improved water resistance: Apple says the iPhone 11 Pro is water resistant up to a depth of four meters for up to 30 minutes, while the 12 Pro and newer are water resistant up to a depth of six meters for up to 30 minutes.
Given the vast number of improvements and changes since the iPhone 11 Pro, this list is far from comprehensive, but it does highlight most major features.
iPhone 12 Pro vs. 14 Pro: New Features to Expect If You’ve Waited to Upgrade
Given that many customers upgrade their iPhones every two to three years nowadays, there are still plenty of iPhone 12 Pro owners who might be interested in upgrading to the iPhone 14 Pro later this year. While year-over-year iPhone updates are often incremental, the new features begin to stack up after two generations. As a refresher, we’ve put together a list of new features and changes to …
iPhone XS vs. iPhone 14 Pro: New Features to Expect if You’ve Waited to Upgrade
If you’ve been holding on to your iPhone XS and are considering upgrading to the iPhone 14 Pro when it launches later this year, check out our list below for a recap of the many new features and changes to expect. The list includes major new features added since the iPhone 11 Pro, as well as rumored features for the iPhone 14 Pro. Have another iPhone model? Check out our iPhone X vs. 14 Pro, …
iPhone X vs. iPhone 14 Pro: New Features to Expect if You’ve Waited to Upgrade
Launched in 2017, the iPhone X was a major evolution of the iPhone. The device replaced the Home button and Touch ID with swipe-based navigation and Face ID, while introducing new features like an OLED display, Animoji, wireless charging, and more. Even five years later, the iPhone X is still a capable smartphone. If you’ve been holding on to your iPhone X and are considering upgrading to…
iPhone 14 Pro Rumored to Feature Rounder Design to Match Larger Rear Camera Array
The iPhone 14 Pro could feature significantly rounder corners to match the larger rear camera array, according to Apple concept graphic renderer Ian Zelbo. Zelbo, who is best known for creating renders of upcoming Apple devices based on leaked information, including the Mac Studio, Studio Display, rumored mixed-reality headset, and more, believes that the iPhone 14 Pro models are likely to…
iPhone 14 Pro Design Details Starting to Emerge
Key design elements of Apple’s “iPhone 14 Pro” are beginning to emerge ahead of the device’s expected unveiling in September. The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, which are expected to come in the same 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch display sizes as the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max, are expected to feature a refreshed design. Apple usually redesigns its flagship iPhone models every two to…
iPhone 14 Pro Renders Highlight Multiple Design Changes
Leaker Jon Prosser today shared ostensibly accurate renders of the iPhone 14 Pro, providing the most accurate look yet at what the device could look like when it launches later this year. In the latest video on YouTube channel Front Page Tech, Prosser revealed renders of the iPhone 14 Pro made by Apple concept graphic designer Ian Zelbo, highlighting a range of specific design changes…
iPhone 14 Pro Wide Camera Rumored to Feature 21% Wider Sensor for 48-Megapixel Images
The iPhone 14 Pro delivers more detailed images thanks to a considerably larger sensor and smaller pixels, according to unverified technical information shared on Chinese social media site Weibo. A recent post from the account “Fishing 8” on Weibo listed a large number of the iPhone 14 Pro’s technical camera specifications. In line with the multitude of rumors about the iPhone 14 Pro’s Wide …
Third-Party Cases for iPhone 14 Lineup Highlight Design Tweaks, Larger Pro Camera Bump
Images of cases for the entire iPhone 14 lineup were shared today, reinforcing expectations about the design refinements coming to this year’s new iPhone models. The images, shared on Weibo and highlighted by “DuanRui” on Twitter, depict ultra-slim third-party cases for the 6.1-inch iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro, and 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Max and iPhone 14 Pro Max. Although one of the devices is…
Everything New in iOS 16 Beta 4 For Lock Screen, iMessage, CarPlay, and More
Apple today seeded the fourth beta of iOS 16 to developers for testing. The latest beta contains a handful of new features and changes involving the Messages app, Home app, Mail app, Lock Screen notifications, CarPlay, and more. Subscribe to MacRumors on YouTube iOS 16 is currently in beta for developers and members of Apple’s free public beta testing program, and the software update will be…
Titanium Apple Watch ‘Pro’ Could Signal the End of Apple Watch Edition
The larger Apple Watch Series 8 model expected to arrive later this year is rumored to feature a titanium casing, raising questions about the future of the Apple Watch Edition. Yesterday, Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman reported that the new, larger Apple Watch model scheduled to launch this year will feature a casing made of “a more durable formulation of titanium to make it extra rugged.” Apple…
Apple Replaces Last Remaining Intel-Made Component in M2 MacBook Air
In the M2 MacBook Air, Apple has replaced an Intel-made component responsible for controlling the USB and Thunderbolt ports with a custom-made controller, meaning the last remnants of Intel are now fully out of the latest Mac. Earlier this month, the repair website iFixit shared the teardown of the new MacBook Air, revealing a look inside the completely redesigned machine. One subtle detail…
Five Apple Products Rumored to Switch to USB-C
While the iPhone still uses the Lightning connector for now, Apple has been transitioning many of its devices to USB-C in recent years. Apple now offers USB-C ports on every Mac that it currently sells, ranging from the MacBook Air to the Mac Pro. Other devices with a USB-C port include the 2018 and newer iPad Pro, 2020 and newer iPad Air, sixth-generation iPad mini, Studio Display, and Pro…
Apple Had M1 Mac Pro Ready to Ship Months Aug, Mac Mini Redesign Unlikely
Apple had a Mac Pro featuring the M1 Apple silicon chip ready to ship and launch to customers “months ago,” but has ultimately decided to wait for the “M2 Extreme” Mac Pro later this year, Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman has revealed. In an interview with YouTuber Max Tech, Gurman said that Apple likely held off on the M1 Mac Pro to wait for the more high-end and powerful version with the “M2…
Budget Smartphone Comparison: Google’s $449 Pixel 6a vs. Apple’s $429 iPhone SE
Google last week launched the Pixel 6a, a $449 budget smartphone that’s designed to compete with more affordable smartphones like Apple’s iPhone SE. We picked up a Pixel 6a to see how it measures up to the iPhone SE in terms of design, performance, and camera technology. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. The Pixel 6a has a 6.1-inch 1080p OLED display, which means…
iPhone 14 Pro Rumored to Have 6GB of Faster RAM
The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max will both feature 6GB of RAM and a newer and faster type of memory, according to a report today from DigiTimes. iPhone 14 Pro renders created by Ian Zelbo for Jon Prosser The report claims that the high-end models of the upcoming iPhone lineup will feature 6GB of LPDDR5 RAM, a faster and more efficient type of memory compared to older standards. Current …