While I knew there was supposed to be a community event in this final month of Destiny 2, I had no idea it would start quite like…this.
After getting a tip that something was today, it has since been discovered that Telesto is bugging out again, but in a very non-traditional way.
Pretty quickly, players discovered that Telesto’s newest glitch was shooting floaty bolts that lifted up into the air. Weird, but this is Telesto we’re talking about, so not completely unbelievable it might start randomly doing something like this.
However, this is actually the start of a community mystery puzzle, where I believe I know the endpoint, but not how to get there. Again, this is not just some random glitch:
- Telesto has been animated to be smoking and sparking, which it did not do previously. This happens on any ornament.
- Firing Telesto will ascend a pattern of bolts into the sky. I believe they are meant to be constellations, as I’m pretty sure I’ve seen at least Orion and one of the Big Dippers in there.
- Holding down reload will kill this floaty shot mode and make the gun fire normally again. Once again, this is something Bungie has to have specifically uploaded into the game. This is not how bugs work.
🇧🇷Update: 8 PM – I may be calling it a day on at least the “bolt pattern” aspect of this. They do in fact float to the sky and look like stars, but after hours of thousands of people pouring through them, I don’t think they mean anything larger. I think the overall takeaway is just “Telesto is broken (on purpose), stay tuned for what happens next,” as this is leading to something larger).
What happens from here, I’m not sure. Yes, Telesto is shooting out constellations. No, I don’t really know what to do with that fact. I’ve gotten indication that this may continue to unfold over the coming days, so we might need to wait and see what further resets bring.
We think we know where this is going, as its been in the API for a very long while now that there will be an end of season community event where players collect currency to help rebuild the Eliksni quarter so it’s not such a bombed-out mess. How do we get from Telesto constellations to that? I have no earthly idea, my knowledge stops here. But I have to assume they’re related. If not, and the Telesto thing leads to something else entirely, well, that would be quite a thing to see indeed.
It has been an extremely long time since Bungie has put a bizarre mystery like this in the game, which has drawn mixed feedback in the past from players. Some like the weirdness and the chase for answers, others thing you just sit around waiting for community creators to solve it. Right now, we appear to be in that phase, as I’m told Aztecross is already constellation tracking live on stream. I’m sure other streamers will soon join him, once the initial skepticism fades.
So yes, this is real. This is not me hallucinating a community event into existence. Go check out Telesto’s bizarre behavior for yourself, and come up with some theories of your own.
So, where are we a day after this launched? Here’s what I can gather from the past 24 hours or so since this went live:
- The Telesto puzzle/easter egg that’s just launched here has been teased pretty much all season. There’s been a new shirt in the Bungie store added a few weeks ago. Banshee now plays around with Telesto in his shop dele. There’s a Telesto themed sparrow/ship/ghost shell in Eververse. There was even a Telesto Festival of the Lost mask. It’s been the secret season of Telesto this whole time.
- This current Telesto “bug” thing is likely leading toward an emblem called Schrodinger’s Gun which has previously been found in the game files. We don’t, however, know the next steps from here in order to actually unlock it.
- At this point I am fairly convinced that despite the constellation-like nature of the floating Telesto bolts, there is not any discernible pattern to them and nothing to solve there. Reliable sources have informed me there is some sort of time element to this thing, so we may just need to wait and see what Telesto does next. Its will is not its own.
- I am hearing mixed reports on whether this is going to be tied to the larger scale community event that we know is coming in future weeks, one where we rebuild the Eliksni Quarter by donating materials and currency. I am still not sure how Telesto shenanigans would bridge the gap to that larger event. It is possible that this thing for the emblem and the community event later are separate. If they’re linked, we’ll have to wait and see how.
Regardless, this has certainly been a lot of fun, and I love how Bungie took the time to do something like this, complete with even a goofy “fix the gun” reload animation. It may not be the start of some massive puzzle to unearth, but it’s something to fill the dead time, and at the very least, the memes have been a lot of fun (many of them at my expense). Unfortunately I am heading out of town so I won’t be able to play around with Telesto every day from here, but I am sure all of you will keep me informed.
Follow me on Twitter🇧🇷 YouTube🇧🇷 Facebook and Instagram🇧🇷 Subscribe to my free weekly content round-up newsletter, God Rolls🇧🇷
Pick up my sci-fi novels the herokiller series and The Earthborn Trilogy🇧🇷